2023 Small Grains Management Field Day
June 8, 2023
10am - 12pm
3048 State Route 414
Seneca Falls , NY 13148
Integrated Field Crop, Soil and Pest Management Program Work Team
email Jenn Thomas-Murphy
The date for the annual Small Grains Management Field day sponsored by the Integrated Field Crop, Soil and Pest Management Program Work Team, has been set for June 8! It will again be held in conjunction with Poormon Farms in Seneca Falls, NY. Please park in the designated lot at Fleur De Lis. Registration check-in and light refreshments will begin at 9:30 am with the program running from 10 am - noon. New this year is the opportunity to network with other attendees at Fleur De Lis farm brewery at the conclusion of the event!
- Registration and refreshments, 9:30 - 10 AM
- View winter wheat and winter barley variety plots at adjacent Poormon Farms
- Welcome and introductions (5 min.)
- 2023 Crop development and management observations, Cornell Cooperative Extension Field Crops Educators, Mike Stanyard leading (20 min)
Discussion of small grain acreages, crop development, management practices being applied, learning from participation in the Yield Enhancement Network.
- Recommended small grain varieties and availability of seed, current breeding initiatives, Mark Sorrells, David Benscher, R.J. Richtmyer (20 min)
- The pathway to improved scald resistance in winter malting barley, Judith Kolkman (10 min)
- Refreshment Break (10 min.)
- Update on integrated disease management in small grains - including best fungicide options, grain quality and mycotoxin surveys in malting barley, Gary Bergstrom, Kevin Myers (15 min)
- A fresh look at weed management for small grains in New York, Vipan Kumar (15 min.)
Assessment of weed management challenges in small grains, and future research and extension priorities.
- New York Grown and Certified: opportunities for small grains value chains, Laura Smalley (10 min.)
An introduction to the process and benefits of certification in New York grain supply chains.
- Updates and comments from attendees, (15 min.) [incl. market conditions, new products and services]
NYS DEC and CCA CEUs will be available.
To REGISTER, visit https://cals.cornell.edu/field...
Farm Asset Protection Strategies: Safeguarding Agricultural Legacies for Future Generations
November 14, 2023
November 17, 2023
November 20 - November 21, 2023November 29 - December 1, 2023
Join us for a workshop on farm asset protection to help you preserve long-standing agricultural legacies. In these uncertain times, safeguarding valuable farm assets has become paramount to ensure our farming communities' continued success and sustainability. Each participant will receive written materials and a flash drive containing various resources. Morning refreshments and lunch are included.
Value-Added Dairy Tour
March 13 - March 14, 2024
Pre-register now for our March 2024 Value-Added Dairy Tour!
Help Us Help You - SWNYDLFC Needs Assessment
TAKE SHORT SURVEY